15 May 2015

Tapping the Spirit




When I am of the river, barriers don't exist. 
When I am of the river’s flow, walls and obstacles
are not my weapons. When we gather at the river,
we have the power of flow and overflow.  When we
are river rising, anyone can drink or join in.

Whether or not we can forgive, we can’t withhold our
prayer. No one can stop the river, only deny
it entrance into their own hearts.  We bring the water
to the horses who don't come to us willingly, but
we can’t make them drink.  We can only make them thirsty.

When the river flows, it wants to overflow and take
along all in its path.  When the river flows, it desires
to leave its bed and banks,  erode all resistance and
leave behind only the richest soil for human growth.
The river is the earth’s passionate, loving embrace.

Left alone, it doesn't flash flood.  It doesn't invite
winds to accompany it—neither hurricane nor
tornado nor thunder storm.  It becomes what it is:
enough to contain feeder streams heading to the sea,
enough to rise to the occasion of the earth’s leading.

Why then do I hold back, fearing to put my head in
and fearing to open my eyes?  Why do I cling to
man-made wharves and boats?  I have let go of these crutches
before to swim and dance.  I have felt joy opening
my gills to breathe, leaving my mouth free to voice and sing.

I have been in harmony with humanity and 
whales, with elephants and jelly fish, with pelicans
and chickadees, with polar and with koala bear.
I have entered the river with closed eyes and open
ears and with attending and intending heart fullness. 

Understand, we are not the fluvial content or 
alluvium, but water itself.  In this form, we 
can eliminate systemic poisons  plaguing us
and deposit them safely in delta fans rather
than in the fields which feed us and drink our sweet lives.

When I am of the river, barriers don't exist. 
When I am of the river’s flow, walls and obstacles
are not my weapons. When we gather as the river,
we become our  prayer.  No one can stop the water,
only be harder or softer in the river’s flow.




Copyright © 2015  S.L.Chast 





25 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

One of my new favorites of yours, Susan. I especially love the river rising and, smiled with joy through the stanza that begins "I have been in harmony with humanity and whales".....so glorious!

Vandana Sharma said...

So beautiful, the whole world shul start living in harmony and let go off war and terrorism.

Mary said...

Wow, Susan! This really has a prayerful, meditative tone. Indeed no one can stop the river. It flows on. I love the idea that the river is earth's passionate, loving embrace! And yes, we must become our prayer. God's work, our hands.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

What a beautiful metaphor! I love the progress of this poem, and the way the first verse, already seeming perfect, transformed into the completion of the last.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Nina's nice, too. :)

Sumana Roy said...

so soothing to hear the voice of peace and love...wish everyone of us could be with the flow to make this war torn planet a pristine paradise...such a beautiful write Susan....

brudberg said...

Your Pom flows like the river itself.. The metaphor works slowly it ways till you reach the delta in the end, wonderfully layered. The repetions really worked well as you took it home,

Old Egg said...

Sadly mankind always wants more and to control and alter which nature has decided is right. We seem hell bent at destroying what has given us life so we will weep for our children as we look down. How pertinent and sad this poem is Susan

totomai said...

Could be the river of life too - which is beyond our control. Until when are we going to accept everything around us? We may never know the answer in this lifetime.

Thanks for making me reflect Susan

Jae Rose said...

What a wonderful process of thought and wisdom...like a baptism or epiphany waiting to be taken in...

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is such an exquisite piece of work :D agreed with Bjorn, the entire poem flows like a river, specially adored the use of repetition in the poem :D Beautifully penned :D

Lots of love
Sanaa

gautami tripathy said...

Flows so seamlessly....I also loved the repetition...

​http://firmlyrooted.blogspot.in/2015/05/where-night-is-without-wind.html

Gillena Cox said...

No one can stop the river, only deny
it entrance into their own hearts.... No one can stop the water,
only be harder or softer in the river’s flow.

my favourite lines, have a nice Sunday

much love...

Gabriella said...

There is a powerful flow to your words, Susan. Your poem made me think of a negro-spiritual. Despite all might hold us back, there is no stopping the river.

G L Meisner said...

Well written, I love the idea of the world as a river and we are it.

proudmommaofgirls said...

I am so happy I stumbled upon your blog today! I love how your words just flowed with power and grace. I also enjoyed the musical accompaniment :) Have a beautiful rest of your Sunday

R.K. Garon said...

Excellent Piece. "Water, water, teach me the art of flowing."
ZQ

Peggy said...

Wow what a flowing piece! Lovely idea to be the river and its flow.

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

I love this Susan and how the river cannot be held back....
'No one can stop the water,
only be harder or softer in the river’s flow.'

kaykuala said...

The rivers can be formidable. One can only adapt to it given our strengths. Very true Susan!

Hank

Panchali said...

So beautifully said---- life is, indeed... like the river: endlessly moving on, ever seeking, exploring, pushing, overflowing its banks, penetrating every crevice with its water. Nature is our best friend which provides us all the inspirations to live here. Beautifully penned, Susan. Loveddd it!!

Kim Nelson said...

My immediate thought? My aim is to be of the river...

humbird said...

Loved the deep take on flowing..."leaving my mouth free to voice and sing" and " When we gather as the river,
we become our prayer." ~ these two lines resonate with me....I'm thinking when we're trying to be fluent in life we need others to accept it.... ~ for me - to be of the sea....smiles...

James Toma said...

Well, this piece just summarizes into the phrase: the River of dreams doesn't it? I loved the positive messages within it. It was quite relieving and inspirational. another contribution to the world of humanity and peace. bravo!

C.C. said...

Great word choices here and I had to look up a few..like "fluvial" and "alluvium"--I love that, so thank you!