31 March 2016

After Abandonment

Sabrina and Raven


My two bonded adult black cats take days
to come out from under the furniture.
Why should they trust this new household as home
after five years of insecurity?

How to forgive them for not loving me
immediately?  How to be patient?

They mirror my reactions to bad breaks  
that hold me lonely and isolated
under the furniture of my own life
I’ve hewn from pine and built quite sound and strong.

How to forgive me for not loving them
unconditionally?  How be patient?

I know distrust holds back fullness of faith
humility would bring if I could swim
within the stream of human poverty
once more, take off my clothes and go under.

How to let go of outworn survival
techniques which keep us from knowing new depths?

I ask the two black cats to come on out
from hiding.  Let me hold you, please, let me
be of service to you—And love me, please,
don’t make me beg.  Don’t make me wait for you.

How to be patient with each other’s fears? 
How to negotiate our timeliness?



Copyright © 2016 Susan L. Chast


5 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Poor kitties, it will take them some time....remember Rosemary's regal beauty, not all settled in. Hard for them to trust, but they will. Hard to wait for the joy of giving them love...but you will.

Mama Zen said...

This is gorgeous and real.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Beautifully poignant...!!

Truedessa said...

They will come around when they feel safe, it is so hard on animals when those they trusted leave them.

Kerry O'Connor said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Such a touching narrative which says so much about the human heart.