15 April 2016

Trigger

white privilege conference
http://www.whiteprivilegeconference.com/


To negotiate dialogue about race better
means finding and addressing my own triggers. 

Again—nothing is as easy as I could wish
no outward change without inward learning.  

Sigh.  What patience we need to take ourselves
by the hand when we want to fix others.

There are no short cuts to the promised land.
And this does not pretend to be a poem.



For day 14 of National Poetry Month.  
I am a day behind as I am attending this conference, linked above.


*Note:  All April poem-a-day poems are rough drafts awaiting revision.


Copyright © 2016 Susan L. Chast




1 comment:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I so admire your work for racial justice, and love that you are attending that conference. I love most the line about it requiring patience to take ourselves by the hand when we want to fix others. So true. I hope at the conference, that everyone took each others' hands and at least in that moment, felt some unity. The best we can do, on any given day, is remain open to improving this mess we're in.