31 December 2016

A Year Like a Cat, a Dog, an Esther

Platter with Three Episodes from the Book of Esther



I want to pet the New Year like a cat,
a rescue learning to trust me as if
we came into this world and built our home
together.  I want to brush the New Year,
to brush away the tangle and debris
that troubles it, to feed it and provide
the atmosphere it needs to live and thrive.

I want to pet the New Year like a dog,
a puppy I am learning to love as
we train each other.  I want it to love
us better than the wild dog of last year—
at least no worse.  I want us to love it
as fiercely, kindly and creatively
as we are able, as we love ourselves. 

I want us to travel with this New Year
as if we had the courage of Esther
to stand up for our people, as if we
could stay awake and be the witnesses,
stay woke and give, stay woke and speak, stay woke
and know what happens to the least of us
happens to each of us, each living thing.




My blog poems are rough drafts.
Please respect my copyright.

© 2016 Susan L. Chast



9 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I ADORE this poem. What a fantastic idea, to love the year as if it is a rescue, learning to love each other......love the idea of staying awake and being the witnesses, instead of retreating into escapism, which feels quite appealing. Your energy for activism inspires me, my friend. I really like "I want it to love us better than the wild dog of last year." Me, too. But I fear we may have replaced the wild dog with a bucking bronco.

Martin Kloess said...

A dream, beautifully expressed.
I and many are with you.

annell said...

Yes, I think this year, may give us the opportunity to learn to love what we thought we could not do. A fine poem to start the year!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

There is such fierce and beautiful longing in your lines, Susan ❤️

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

What a wonderful poem!

Sumana Roy said...

Love the unique way of loving this new year…inspiring, specially the closing lines… “know what happens to the least of us / happens to each of us, each living thing.”…I wonder when all will realize this….

Wendy Bourke said...

What a fascinating and powerful vision for this new year - loving it, as if it was a rescue (for - certainly - it does feel as though it is in need of rescuing). I think, the tendency in these sad times, is to pull the covers over our heads, but - as your poem expresses, so well, these are the times that we must deep down and soldier on. We look to the past, and we see that the tide has been turned on dark days - many times before - with strength and hope.

dsnake1 said...

compassion, forgiveness and courage. that's what i see in the three verses.
yes, last year was like a wild dog, and some damage may have been done, but let's look forward with hope, that common sense and reason will prevail.
that's a very lovely and heartfelt poem. it fills us with hope and at the same time puts a lump in the throat...

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love the idea of treating the new year with tenderness, and the thought of standing with it when it needs us to. Maybe if we do, it will behave better than the last.