03 April 2017

What Her Body Says

Sign language O.svg
source




The cloth covering her chest lifts
and falls as she sits in silent worship.
She isn’t wearing anything binding.
Even her hair is free, her toes are bare,
her hands lie palms up on her thighs, fingers
slightly cupped, curled, and her eyes unfocused.

In one shudder, she lifts both shoulders up
to her ears, pauses, then drops them, which shakes
her right hand from its lap perch to her side
abandoning it there in one long line
thumb touching four fingers as it lands
and waits lightly, patiently for a word.

Or did she hear, in an instant, the call
and now signs “Yes, I hear and follow”?



My blog poems are rough drafts.   
Please respect my copyright. 
© 2017 Susan L. Chast



2 comments:

Martin Kloess said...

This really toys with the imagination.

annell said...

I can see it now, blacks, greys, and pure whites. Love this! Makes me think of Whistler's Mother....