07 May 2017

Global Heart Warming and Cooling

Life is like a mountain hike: the pathway
both old and new, the heart that beats and blends
strata of rock, pebbles, flora and flesh.

Life is like a glacial hike: crevasses
turning to craters, cliffs, catastrophe
under our feet, heartbeat frozen between.

We are the mountain, we are the glacier
where ever we walk, city or sea shore
and so I claim the flowers and the weeds.

I woke this morning with joyful spirit:
a well the tweets dropped in with refugees—
Honduran mother and child—deported.

Certainly death awaits them in this new
slaughter of the innocents.  And we are
innkeepers offering not even caves.

We are this mountain.  We walk this glacier.
Hearts with the depth and warmth of this planet
can vanish into solitude and freeze.

Tears stream down my face and I plot
to take the pathway back with my people.
If we cannot, heaven cannot save us.

Life is like a mountain hike: the pathway
both old and new. Our feet walk for the earth.
Our hands create both with and for our God.  




My blog poems are rough drafts.   
Please respect my copyright. 
© 2017 Susan L. Chast

3 comments:

Sherry Marr said...

Oh my heavens, this is spectacular. Just gorgeous. The waking with joy - till we turn on the news - the mountain we climb, the crevasse we skirt.....we exert our human will, and heaven cant save us. And we arent trying hard enough to save ourselves and each other. A fantastic write. My new fave. The best bit: "Hearts with the depth and warmth of this planet can vanish into solitude and freeze."

Martin Kloess said...

"life is like a mountain." There is so much meaning in this. I climbed a mountain. The view from the top wasn't clear.

Therisa's World said...

Susan, I started crying, when you mentioned the Honduran mother and child, being deported, and the certain death that faces them. Wish, I knew of a way, which we can live with each other, in peace and understanding, instead of ignorance and fear, permeates the world, today.