10 May 2017

What I Forget to Ask




Mom looks at me sometimes as if she feels
labor and its complexities once more.

Does she?  I was her second, so she knew
what to expect, just not who would come.

Back then, gender remained a mystery
until cards arrived saying “It’s a girl!”

Once, hypnotized into regression, I
heard from the womb “I hope that it’s a girl.”

Even my older brother felt delight
as photos show in fading black and white.

When I was seven, she did it again:
expanded and disappeared and returned.

So tired, so tired, grinning with bundled
baby in her and dad’s protective arms.

When she sees me, do I appear
bundle of love or labor over years? 


For my prompt: 

Poets United Midweek Motif ~ Childbirth



My blog poems are rough drafts.   
Please respect my copyright. 
© 2017 Susan L. Chast


14 comments:

gillena cox said...

We are all just that aren't we, little bundles gifts to humanity, everyday miracles

Hugs, thanks for a really nice prompt today

Much love...

Therisa's World said...

I think, your mom does, Susan, see you, as a bundle of love and hope.

annell said...

Yes, you do and you are. Very sweet!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Trust me, bundle of love all the way! I love that she "expanded and disappeared and returned." What a great description! I remember expanding so hugely I got stuck in one of those accordian pleated doorways at the doctor's and cracked he and the nurse right up. LOL.

Myrna R. said...

Oh I love this and love that last question. I think the answer is a little of both with most children. Love and struggle go together.

indybev said...

"Expanded, disappeared, and returned". A story in three words! Well written.

Martin Kloess said...

This is a great reflection

Old Egg said...

I think most mothers do have that feeling of an unbroken bond with their children for each is surely some much a part of them.

Jae Rose said...

What a beautiful mix of image and thoughts.. also the sense of being held by a mother

Peter Chast said...

Great imagery.

Panchali said...

Oh yes, you do, Susan!Every child is precious...and is treated equally! Lovely poem...the melody of emotions add more to it!

soulsmusic said...

Beautifully written. And personally, I believe Mothers always see us from both perspectives. I know I do with my children,


Elizabeth

Amalia Abbar said...

It's so touching...and I can relate with that teeny weeny doubt lying so thick on my heart, that sometimes I feel suffocated. Although I don't doubt my mother's love...

rallentanda said...

Children are a bundle of love and labour.