05 August 2026

Your Eyes


The wonder in your eyes
is different from wondering.
There is no question, not really,
instead, just awe and delight.
 
We like to let mystery be
rather than pull the petals
off before their time. 
We wait for their opening.
 
I love to see delight in your eyes
—a little smile twinkles
in the iris, with an extra smile
line below the bottom lash.
 
Sometimes delight is silent,
like a bell before it rings,
but your eyes can’t hide delight
and you sparkle, head high.
 
Hurt and anger change your eyes, too.
You broadcast them with pulling in
or glaring out, and your mouth
is set, neither smiling nor frowning.
 
I am happy when your eyes enjoy,
sad when you dull down,
taking time to sort out the hurt
and anger, taking time for calm.
 
But always, I am grateful for your eyes.
I love the way they reveal inner vision
while you are looking out at the world,
Or maybe only when you see me.


For Mary's prompt "Eyes" at What's Going On?  


My blog poems are rough drafts.
Please respect my copyright
© 2026 Susan L. Chast 

8 comments:

  1. I really like this poem, Susan. It shows how the same eyes can portray different emotions; and if you look carefully into another person's eyes you can read much more about the person's feelings than the words from the mouth express. I loved theending...the whole stanza endingwith the words "of maybe only when you see me." (We all like to be really SEEN.) This is recent favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely....one can see the person's face, that extra smile line below the eyelid..........such a beautiful poem. I LOVE the closing line!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful are the twinkling, sparkling eyes that create a congenial space! One can see the person with such eyes who is no less amazing. A cheerful, deep, impeccable personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A charming poem, Susan. I especially love the lines:
    ‘Sometimes delight is silent,
    like a bell before it rings’.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you convey your intimacy and affection towards these eyes but also seem to have the ability to regard them objectively - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's looking at you kid:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that last stanza!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog!