29 July 2026

Hope and House Sparrows

 

 

source

I hear you chirping all day, dear sparrows,
as you soar back and forth between castle
turrets and the trees around them. You seem
to have happy hopeful hearts, little ones.
 
I trusted in the blue flag which turned out
to be just a flag.  I lost hope in
government and its concern over
climate change and humanity.
 
Now I look closer to home and farther
away in nature.  What will she bring?
Can prayer and vigilance do the rest?
Sing, sweet house sparrows, center me here.


For Sherry's prompt "Hope--"The Hardest Love We Carry" at What's Going On? 


My blog poems are rough drafts.
Please respect my copyright
© 2026 Susan L. Chast 



7 comments:

  1. That is really what we need to do, Susan.....focus on the sparrows in our lives. Perhaps they are wiser than we are, keeping hopeful hearts and attending to the ordinary things within their control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the photo of the wee birds splashing about . Adorable. "Sing, sweet house sparrows. Center me here." I'm with you. I have lost hope in government too. Thank heaven for small singing birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful bird poem. I just wish to say to the house sparrows to come back again and multiply their tribe in our place. Alas! They seem to be gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that so many of us find hope in nature, and in birds especially, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope is found in the little birds and their songs. I try to focus on my daily life and there is hope if you look to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayer, birds, pussy cats, and all of beautiful nature is our hope and occasionally if were are very lucky an angel will drop by and lend a hand....It's hard and getting harder...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you cannot find joy in birds, you are already too far gone. I love this, Susan, and the photo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog!