09 September 2026

At the Living Edge

 

source


When I am not shaking on the edge
but awake and listening beyond
the sunlight on the surface of moons,
I sense the secret of steadiness—
which is this—that creation does not
pause because one of us tires or God
(by any and all names) concentrates
elsewhere. Creation without ceasing
forms its own safety net now that we
are many and are productive as
the trees and mushrooms who teach us.

If I take my eyes off destruction,
it will not cause the earth to expire.
Indeed, the earth is waiting for us
to grow on the living edge of soul.


 

Posted for Susan's prompt "Open link" at What's Going On? 

Originally written for the earthweal weekly challenge on 5 January 2022.


My blog poems are rough drafts.
Please respect my copyright
© 2026 Susan L. Chast 


5 comments:

  1. Such a depthful poem! I especially liked these lines:
    "Creation without ceasing
    forms its own safety net"
    Those lines give me hope! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!!!!!! My heart quickened as I read "productive as the trees and mushrooms who teach us." I needed that, as I have lost some motivation lately. I need to get my butt back in my computer chair. Your closing stanza gave me a shot of adrenaline as, if earth can do that, when we have treated her so badly, then I can summon some strength to fight for her. Wonderful writing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, this is an amazing poem. Full of spiritual energy and wisdom. The last two lines especially touch me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cats music nature creation...we've got it made. Take care and keep writing and inspiring others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Each word is a pearl of wisdom. "I sense the secret of steadiness—"---This sensing seems to be a stepping stone to reach that higher self. So beautiful Susan!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog!