29 September 2026

Dark birds

 

 

source

Dark birds capture my attention—especially starlings and crows—

Starlings who flock mightily in breathtaking murmuration,

and crows who seem happy with very few companions.

I feel them each echoing in my chest, far louder

than the more common robins and finches

who stay close by and share their song. 

 

Crows come closest to touching my heart with their caws,

as if they had a message of importance I never quite catch.

I call them stubborn heralds, and move more purposefully

and attentively when they are around. Their presence

makes everything in the wild world seem brighter,

as if I'm called to notice supernatural radiance.

        #


For Sherry's prompt "Birds."

My blog poems are rough drafts.
Please respect my copyright
© 2026 Susan L. Chast 

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting, as 'dark birds' are not often heralded. To me (only me) they are more a symbol of foreboding. I like that you feel them echoing in your chest more than the more common (and perhaps more beautiful ) songbirds. I feel differently about crows than you do, so your perspective was fascinating. To me, their presence makes things darker...they are more a symbol of evil than brightness. I found your last line interesting, (and I would like to know more), as was your whole poem.

    (As an aside, I almost wrote about the wild turkeys that I see prancing around here. They are another 'dark bird'' and very free spirited.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment was mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I feel them each echoing in my chest"--- This happens to me too with all birds that I see. Birds are such precious gits of Nature, true tree spirits and with "supernatural radiance". Your vision about "Dark Birds" is unique too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you wrote about dark birds, and saw radiance. They are very very clever, and amusing. There is a man here who stands on the downtown corner and tosses bread to crows. They gather at 11 a.m. and wait for him to arrive on his bicycle. Some will swoop and take it from his hand. I love the "breathtaking murmuration" and them making the wild world brighter. Awesome. I also am intrigued by Mary's wild turkeys. I can almost see them cavorting giddily.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog!